Thursday, January 26, 2017

The MELTONE




 I thought it might be fun to build a musical instrument.  I decided to design my own concoction comprised of a cigar box guitar body, hurdy gurdy wheel crank, mountain dulcimer fret scale, tenor banjo neck, and 3/4 scale cello strings.  In the tradition of the great hurdy gurdy luthiers of antiquity I carved a face (my wife Martha) on the tuning head stock.  I worked sporadically on it whenever inspired between sculpting animated film maquettes.  I really enjoyed the intuitional process of designing it as I built it.  I even decided to add an internal auxilary soundboard for extra tone and volume.  On the bittersweet day of completion I tuned up the three cello strings to an open C, turned the crank handle, and discovered that it actually worked!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kent,

    My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

    I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Kent Melton has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 50 Sculpture Blogs on the web.

    http://blog.feedspot.com/sculpture_blogs/

    I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 50 Sculpture Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

    Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

    Best,
    Anuj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anuj,

      Thank you for honoring my work. I appreciate your kind compliment very much.

      Sincerely,
      Kent

      Delete
  2. Hi Kent! This is so inspiring to see how you work from sculpture to creating your own instruments between projects.

    You are a really a big influence on me with your work and I always look to your sculptures to keep that standard of always striving for excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In most of the educational institutions the faculty do not support students when they require help in education due to which the students consult to Dissertation Writing Service providers in order to get a proper guidance in regards to their particular subjects.

    ReplyDelete